An air conditioner is the first choice for cooling a space or room in summer, isn’t it? But everyone can’t afford an air conditioner for home as AC is very expensive and you have to pay an enormous amount of electricity bill during the hot month. Fans are always been second choice and best alternative of an air conditioner. It’s very difficult to choose a perfect fan for your room because there are many types of fan available in the market and each fan type has different use and characteristics.
So, you will become very confused if you don’t have an idea about each type of fan. Don’t worry!!! After reading this article you must get a brief idea about types of fans that are most popular among the people for household use.
Different Types of Fans for Home Or Office Use Only
1. Ceiling Fan
A ceiling fan is a type of mechanical fan. Ceiling fans usually hang on to the ceiling of a room with the help of a solid rod far away from your reach. When you turn ON the switch of this fan, it starts to rotate in the clockwise direction or anticlockwise direction. The hub of the ceiling fan mounted with 3, 4, 5 and sometimes even more blades which constantly rotates 360 degree.
Two kinds of ceiling fans are available in the market depending on the motor type. They are AC Motor Fan and DC Motor Fan.
DC motor ceiling fan can rotate in both clockwise and anticlockwise direction. When the fan rotates in the anticlockwise direction, air only flows in a downward direction. When it rotates clockwise, it draws air upward. So, you can use a dc motor ceiling fan both in summer and winter seasons. DC motor fans are 70% more energy efficient than an AC motor ceiling fan. Moreover, DC motor ceiling fans are very quiet in operation.
Ac motor ceiling fan can rotate only in the anticlockwise direction.
Ceiling fans usually consume 60-70 watts power and the voltage rating is 110 or 120 volts.
Features You May Find in a Ceiling fan
- Integrated with a LED light kit.
- Most of the top rated ceiling fans usually come with a lightweight remote control but some doesn’t have any.
- Its motor is capable of running in both Clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.
- For quick on/off, some fan integrated with pull chains.
Benefits of Ceiling fan
- Long lasting and durable.
- Very easy to install.
- Easy to clean. Only takes a few minutes.
- Doesn’t need additional space on the floor.
- Can be used during both in summer and winter season.
- You may find ceiling fan of 3, 4 or 5, even 8 blades according to your need.
- They are so powerful that you can find a ceiling fan that can cover a large size room very easily.
Drawbacks of Ceiling fan
- Need to change the capacitor after a few months.
- Looks and design is not good for modern home
- It creates noise.
Where You Can Use
As they are very powerful, you can use it in your patio, garage or outdoor space. Many people use a ceiling fan in their bedroom. But, you have to remember that it creates white noise and one may find this kind of sound annoying.
2. Tower Fan
Tower fans are the most popular type of fan of today’s world as they offer very advanced features that no other fans are able to do so.
They are very lightweight and slim. So, you can move this device from one room to another very easily.
Tower fans come up with a cylindrical container which holds the fans motor and blades. An electric motor help to oscillate this cylindrical container (that means the fan) 90 degree both in left and right.
The blades of tower fans (also known as impeller blades)are specially made such that it can move air from the cylindrical frame more swiftly. This kind of blades also helps to push the air in an upward and downward direction.
Tower fan consumes 50-60 watts power depending on model and brand name.
Features You May Find In A Tower Fan
- 90-degree oscillation
- Air filtration system
- Variable speed setting
- Remote control system with suitable storage in back or top
- LED display to show the temperature, fan speed mode, oscillation, etc.
- Pre-programmable timer
- Programmable thermostat
Benefits of Tower Fan
- They are slim and sleek in design. So, one can easily place it anywhere they want to.
- Each and every tower fan brands available online and market has its own design. They will give your house a contemporary look.
- Noise level is very low
- Blades are safely kept under the grille. That means zero chance of getting stick by the blades.
Drawbacks of Tower Fan
- Cleaning the fan is difficult. You have to disassemble the fan front grille.
- Plastic body
- Less powerful than a pedestal fan
Where You Can Use
Oscillating tower fans are ideal for bedroom and living room. Also, they can be a perfect companion for your kitchen and a personal gym.
3. Pedestal Fan
Pedestal fan works and functionates like tower fan. But, it doesn’t look attractive like a tower fan. But they are very powerful then tower fan.
We have discussed the difference between tower fan and pedestal fan in short. You can check this article “Tower Fan vs Pedestal Fan: Which is the Best” to get more information.
The full body of a pedestal fan sits on a height adjustable stand that is supported by a strong round base. You can adjust the height of a pedestal fan if you want to direct the air above the ground. Also, they are best flowing air in a certain direction which means you can direct the airflow onto your face or around your bed.
Good to know that now pedestal fans come with remote control and a digital display which was very much rare few years ago. This special feature makes it more user-friendly. Pedestal fan can oscillate like tower fan does (90-degree oscillation), so it can cover more area.
Average power ratings of pedestal fans are 50-55 watts and the voltage rating is 110-120 volts.
Features You May Find In A Pedestal Fan
- You can adjust the fan height according to want.
- Assemble is very easy. Some fan doesn’t need any tools for assembling.
- Lightweight and easy to carry one room to another room.
- Not all pedestal fan models but Some pedestal fan comes with both remote control and digital display.
- Some pedestal fans are also come up with Auto shut off timer that is a very uncommon feature for a pedestal fan.
Benefits of Pedestal Fan
- Cleaning of pedestal fan is superbly easy.
- The 180-degree oscillation of pedestal fan makes it very efficient air circulator.
- Pedestal fans are very powerful and flow very high amount of air.
- They are portable and long-lasting.
Drawbacks of Pedestal Fan
- Need large space for placing it in a room
- Don’t safe for kids. As the gaps in the grills are large and high spinning blades can cause serious injury
- Produce little high noise at high speed
Where You Can Use
Pedestal fans are perfect for outside space of your homes like a patio or terrace. You can pick it for a bedroom or living room but the noise at highest speed may irritate you while you are sleeping or working.
4. Window Fan
This fan designed to place inside a flame of the wall in the bedroom, kitchen or bathroom. A window fan uses to cool a room by flowing cool outside air into the room or exhausting the hot air of the room outside.
Most of the window fans have either one large fan or two fan side by side which also known as twin window fan.
Best window fans come with the automatic revisable feature which makes this fan work both in intake and exhaust mode.
A window fan can cool a whole room if you choose a fan with accurate CFM rating that can cover your room.
A window fan normally consumes 40-45 watts on high speed.
Features You May Find In A Window Fan
- You can operate window fan using a remote control.
- These types of fans usually build with the programmable thermostat.
- The blades of window fan can be rotated in both directions. You can control it using a reversible switch.
- Motors of with window fan are water resistant that means they are safe to use during rain.
Benefits of Window Fan
- Window fan helps to bring the fresh air inside the home.
- Doesn’t need additional space for placing it.
- Safe to use.
- Window fans are Easy to clean
- Cools the room very efficiently.
- Very quiet operation.
Drawbacks of Window Fan
- Installation of window fans is difficult. You may need to hire professionals for installation.
- Sometimes drags dust and dirty smell from outside. But now you will find a window fan that comes with an air filter.
Where You Can Use
Window Fans are perfect to use in your bedroom, dining or living room beside or above the window as a secondary fan. Besides that, it can use an exhaust fan for your bathroom, kitchen, and garage or storeroom.
5. Bladeless Fan
Japanese Company Toshiba first introduced the concept of the bladeless fan, but Sir James Dyson Successfully launched Dyson Air Multiplier bladeless fan. This fan works like a vacuum cleaner, and a brushless dc motor is used in the bladeless fan. There is no invisible blade available in a bladeless fan. It typically sucks the air of the surrounding through the base of the fan and an unknown mechanism works inside the cylinder of the fan that amplifies the air 15 to 18 time before blowing out. This kind of fan is noiseless and 100 percent safe for small children and pets.
Power consumption is almost similar to a tower fan.
Features You May Find In A Bladeless Fan
- No visible blade. Completely unique design
- Air ionizer and air filtration system that helps to clean and filter the air inside your house
- Pre-programmable timer
- Programmable thermostat for turning on/off the fan at the desired temperature
- Different speed setting mode
- It can oscillate
Benefits of Bladeless Fan
- Perfect for the modern home. These types of fan increase the aesthetic view of the house.
- Low noise.
- Easy to clean. Don’t need to disassemble.
- No visible blades mean no chance of injury with blades.
Drawbacks of Bladeless Fan
- They are very expensive.
- Wind flowing power in a little bit lower than a pedestal fan or tower fan.
Where You Can Use
Bladeless fans are spotless for bedroom and front room. They may be an excellent choice for the office as it produces very low sound.
6. Desk/Table Fan
This small oscillating wonder is best suitable for a single person. This fan is mainly used in the office or a person working at home on a desk. The Newer version of desk fan includes a mist cooling system for extra cooling effects. It works excellently on your dressing table and bathroom for cooling.
Typical table fans usually consume 80-85 watts at high speed
Features You May Find In A Desk Fan
- You can tilt table fan head to adjust the angle up or down.
- The multi-directional motorized oscillation that creates better and larger cooling space.
- The front grille is easy and quickly removable.
Benefits of Table Fan
- Very lightweight and easy portable.
- Very high airflow.
- Price is very low
- Easy to clean
Drawbacks of Table Fan
- Create a high level of noise
- Don’t safe for kids
Where You Can Use
You can use an electric fan in your bedroom, living room, bathroom, patio, office desk or reading table. Not only that, but they are also very suitable to use it beside a makeup or dressing table and they will make you comfortable while you doing some makeup. Also, you may find good quality window fan or an exhaust fan that are perfect for the kitchen.
The 6 types of fan that we listed above is the best kind of fan that you can use in your home to cool the body temperature normal during summer. We don’t list attic fan and misting fan because they are not very popular as the 6 fan types we discussed above.
- Readers Rating
- No Rating Yet!
- Your Rating