We all certainly have many options when it comes to choosing room cooling devices for your house or workplace, but, not all of them are cost-efficient as they consume more energy. Fortunately, there exist only a few options that are not only cheaper to buy but also effectively cools room without spiking utility bills. Window fan is one of the examples of such kind of cooling device we are talking about.
Window fans are specially made to position inside a window. They provide a cooling effect by pulling cool air from the outside and simultaneously drive out hot air from the home. Thus, they maintain chill and comfortable weather inside your home or apartment. Furthermore, they don’t expend that much electricity like an air conditioner does to cool a room. Besides, they do not have to work as hard as other fans to provide the same cooling effect.
Nevertheless, not all window fans are meant to equal or perform equally. Therefore, it is imperative that you choose the best device for your home. Our experts have compiled this following guide to assist you in making the right decision. After doing hours of research, you have bought this top 5 best window fan for you.
Quick Navigation Of Best Window Fan Pick By Our Editors
|Window Fan Models||Rating||Price|
|Number #1: Bionaire Twin Window Fan||4.8 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B000065DKJ" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #2: Holmes Twin Window Fan||4.6 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B00005CDPH" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #3: Avalon Twin Window Fan||4.5 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B01CK64AQG" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #4: Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan||4.4 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B00008XET9" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #5: Air King 9166 Window Mounted Fan||4.2 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B0007Q3RQ6" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #6: Lasko 2155A Window Fan||4.0 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B00FXOFNYQ" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #7: Bionaire BWF0522M Window Fan||3.8 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B00BDS4M0W" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
|Number #8: Comfort Zone Portable Twin Window Fan||3.5 out of 5||[easyazon_cta align="center" cart="n" cloak="y" identifier="B004TAYQXE" key="small-light" locale="US" localize="y" nw="n" nf="y" tag="towerfan07-20"]|
How We Pick These Window Fan
While window fans can come in handy with their efficiency and cost-effectiveness, not all of them are made exceptionally well. Some can be a pain to clean and there’s just too many of them that won’t last more than just a year. As they can get exposed to the elements, you shouldn’t really count on these items to last forever. This is why we’ve figured out that the best way to find the window fan is by opting for something sturdy with a friendly price tag. We’ve taken it upon ourselves to scour the web for user feedback and product information to learn about which window fans work best. Through hours of research, we’ve made sure to pick the ones that are not only reliable and effective in improving your home’s ventilation but also ones that you won’t mind having for just a couple of years. We can certainly promise that our picks are among the finest options in the market today.
Review Of Top 8 Best Window Fan of 2020
Number #1: AirKing 9166 Whole House Window Fan
The Air King 9166F window fan is the most powerful and expensive window fan on the list. One can’t help but be impressed with the airflow of this fan because it is specially made for industrial use but most of the owners use this as a household window fan. It is paired with an industrial-grade motor and large Powder Coated Steel blades which ensure constant cooling. The blades of this window fan rotate at 1600 RPMs at high-speed settings and move air at 3500 CFM speed which is really great.
For easy mounting, this model comes with adjustable metal plates that can be extended from 27” to 38”. Behind this window fan, there is a storm guard that ensures the window always remain close. So you don’t have to worry about rain and pests entering inside through its gaps.
The housing of this window fan is made of impact-resistant plastic which is very challenging to break. Air moves rapidly through multiple rooms. The unit has controls to operate the intake and exhaust features to low, medium, and high. With a reversible exhaust function, you can remove hot air from the house before turning on the fan.
Even if you have an air conditioner, using a window fan is extremely cost-effective. The window fan will pull out the warm air outside. Eventually, the AC doesn’t have to work that hard.
In most cases, a window fan may only take around 30 minutes to remove hot air from your home. After that, it takes another 15-20 minutes to cool the house down to normal.
On the downside, the noise of this window fan may distract you while you are trying to sleep. The noise may reach up to 64 decibels at high speeds.
The positive sign is most of the owners admit that it is a great performer and it circulates fresh air around the entire apartment in the most effective way. Besides, it includes top-notch features like Storm guard, front-mount rotary control, impact resistance housing, and easy installation. Plus, the unit is both OSHA and ETL approved and comes with one-year limited warranty.
- Very powerful window fan. It can cover a large room of 1800 sq.ft without any trouble.
- It’s whisper-quiet in operation on the different speed settings.
- Perfect exhaust fan for vent hood while you are cooking.
- It cools down the room effectively. It takes approximately 20 min to cool down room temperature to 6 degrees lower.
- Easy to install.
- This AirKing model weighs 33 pounds, which would make it somewhat difficult for certain individuals to carry up and down the stairs, or around the house.
- Due to the large size, it will block the view outside.
- It can be noisy at high speed, but it might not need to be used as it is powerful and effective at low speed just as well.
NUMBER #2: BIONAIRE TWIN WINDOW FAN With Thermostat
The Bionaire 2300 is the most versatile window fan on the market. It is one of the top-rated window fans on Amazon and it is labeled with the precious AMAZON Choice tag. This powerful window fan loaded excellent quality components. It’s a dual window fan and both of them can be run. Plus, the twin fan comes with a remote control that allows you to make adjustments without moving from your seat.
The Bionaire 2300 is the most versatile window fan on the market. It is one of the top-rated window fans on Amazon and this window fan is listed on Amazon with the precious “AMAZON Choice” tag which tremendously increases the brand value and buyer will be biased seeing this label. This powerful window fan is made with excellent quality components. The housing of this fan is durable so does the motor of this fan.
It’s a dual window fan and both of them can be run separately or simultaneously. Let me expend it in detail. You can be used this twin fan blades as an independent exhaust fan to exit the hot air of the house, draw in fresh air from the outside or do both functions simultaneously. Plus, the twin fan comes with a remote control that allows you to make adjustments without moving from your seat.
Bionaire 2300 window fan doesn’t have enough power to cool the entire house like the Air King 9166F, but, still, it does deliver sufficient air to cool a medium to small size room. You can feel the air blowing from 30 feet away.
The unit features a three-speed operation. With the unit’s remote control, you can modify the speed and change the direction of the airflow without moving from your seat. Its Programmable digital thermostat cycles on and off automatically according to surrounding temperature or your predetermined desired temperature set on to maintain comfortable room temperature. Additionally, it features an LCD screen to display the current room temperatures and it also shows your desire temperature that is predetermined by you during pre-programmable setting. The numbers are visible in the dark so you can read the temperature without getting out of bed.
A bottom groove slides over the windowsill to guarantee accurate alignment. The built-in adjustable side panel extender can be expanded according to one’s need from 24 to 37 inches wide. Since the unit has two fans, you will need a double-hung or vertical-slide window for a proper fit. In case of casement windows, one may require a set of brackets to place it there perfectly.
The motor of this fan is water-resistant so you don’t need to do extra work to protect this window fan from rain or storm. Like our number 1 picked window fan AirKing 9166, this Bionaire Dual Window Fan is bit noisy at high-speed settings. Yet, the motor sound is much quieter than AirKing, possibly due to low CFM rating compared to this one. Users tend to agree that the intuitive controls and superb performance make the Bionaire 2300 worth the buy.
This model comes with a generous five-year warranty. However, a few users report that it takes months to get replacement parts.
- Having a thermostat sensor system in this fan is a great plus. This system saves a lot of electricity bills.
- One of the quietest window fans. You may not notice any sound of the motor while it is operating. Perfect for having sound sleep.
- Cools the room faster by pushing the warm air outside of the room.
- Easy to clean.
- Easy to assemble and operate.
- You may find very difficult to locate the control system. Some customers complain that they only find the switch on/off the bottom. They don’t have any idea which bottom to control speed or thermostat.
- There is no remote storage space in the fan. One may easily misplace the remote.
- The lowest speed setting is too low that you may think the fan is not working.
NUMBER #3: HOLMES TWIN WINDOW FAN WITH THERMOSTAT
If you’re looking for a budget buy, consider the Holmes Twin Window Fan. At a glance, it resembles the Bionaire 2300. Yet, with manual operation, it comes with a lower price tag.
If you’re looking for a budget buy fan, consider this Holmes Twin Window Fan. It is much much cheaper than our number 2 pick Bionaire 2300. It is available at two different versions – Easy one-touch thermostat and Manual control. The features of both of the fan model are the same but the only difference is one has thermostat feature, can be controlled using a remote control and other one doesn’t have both thermostat and remote control. We recommend you to go for the model which has an easy one-touch thermostat feature.
Like the Bionaire 2300 this one is also equipped with dual motors. It comes fully assembled so you can install it the right away after unboxing it. It weighs less than 8 lbs., you can singly handle the weight of this during the installation of it.
The Holmes fan is not as powerful as Bionaire window fans and far away from AirKing. But, still, it does a great job by maintaining air in a comfort level. Even with only a 400 CFM rating, it produces enough air to cool small and mid-size rooms.
It has some of the features that pretty much similar to Bionaire like Water resistant motor, reversible motor, programmable thermostat, adjustable screen extender, etc. These are the few features that you may find in many high priced window fan models.
This model has a six-blade on each side. The blades measure 8 inches measuring from the centerline of the blade to the tip of the blade. They are made of plastic. Like Bionaire, it has a control knob that allows adjusting three-speed settings – high, medium, and low.
Customer reviews for this product range from “nearly perfect” to “better than most.” Most users agree that the Holmes 2041 window fan is a smart buy. Mainly, it circulates sufficient cool air with the least noise. The Holmes 2041 comes with a three-year warranty.
- The control panel is very clear, so, one can operate it very easily.
- Very sturdy construction.
- Very quiet in nature.
- You can operate each blade individually if you wish.
- It doesn’t have any LED indicator light.
- A little bit noisy when operating on high-speed setting mode.
- Not as powerful as Bionaire Window fan.
- LED lights will really be annoying especially while sleeping at night.
Number #4: Genesis Twin Window Fan
Designed to fit both vertical and horizontal windows, the Genesis Window fan comes outfitted with copper motors. Since copper is a non-reactive material, the motor won’t corrode due to inclement weather. Although copper tends to hold heat, this window fan comes equipped with Max Cool Technology. As a result, the fan doesn’t have to struggle to cool a room or produce comfortable temperatures. Combine this with a durable plastic housing, and you have a nice little fan that will last a long time.
Compared to the other fans on the list, the Genesis Twin Window fan falls between the Holmes 2041 and 2021 models. Its powerful copper motor and 9” blades push air about 16 feet. A major difference between this portable model and the others is its removable stand. You can snap on the legs to convert it to a freestanding unit, or remove them for placement in a window. Also, a built-in carry-handle allows you to lift and move the fan with ease.
When it comes to performance, the Genesis WINDOW FAN does not disappoint. Like the other twin fans on this list, it boasts a reversible motor capable of drawing in cool air and pushing stale odors out of the home. Additionally, the ETL-certified unit can exchange cool and hot air simultaneously. Just use the two-button control panel to configure the airflow according to your needs. It has three speed settings (low to high) and five temperature settings (60 to 80 degrees). The fixed thermostat with LED indicator lights keeps it operating at a pre-selected temperature.
Surprisingly, the fan is the quietest when it is running on its highest setting. According to buyers of this unit, the fan hums when operating on low and medium settings.
- You can move this window fan effortlessly as it weighs only 8.4 pound
- Very easy to install. You have to put 4 screws in the window frame.
- No assembly required just to install in a suitable place.
- It doesn’t consume too much electricity although it has quite a strong airflow.
- Very little vibration.
- It doesn’t have automatic turning. You need to adjust the direction manually.
- A little bit noisy.
- No automatic shutdown timer feature.
Number #5: Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
The Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan is a convenient alternative to the Holmes 2041 model. This powerful, budget-friendly unit is one of the quietest fans on the market. It is also energy-efficient. In fact, it consumes only 53 watts of power on its highest setting.
If you need a simple fan without the bells and whistles, the Holmes 2021 model is perfect for cooling and removing smoke and odors in small areas. Place it in a master bedroom, office, or bathroom. At only 5 ¼ lbs., this fan can accommodate openings as narrow as 22” wide and 10” high. Thanks to the flexible panel and screen, it can fit windows measuring up to 33 ¼” in width. Its slim profile allows you to install it into windows without removing the screen.
This model doesn’t have a thermostat to regulate temperature. Still, it delivers a pleasant breeze within minutes of turning it on. With a CFM rating of 320, the twin 6” blades can cool a room up to 500 square feet.
Instead of three-speed adjustments, the fan comes with a sliding switch to change the setting from low to high. Furthermore, there is no control to activate the fans independently. Although this model can pull in the fresh air and expel stale air, it requires light manual labor. To reverse the airflow, you have to grab the fan by the recessed handle and flip it to the other side. The handgrip also makes it convenient to carry the fan into another room.
Overall, Holmes 2021 is a reliable fan. Water-resistant motors operate safely on both the intake and exhaust sides. Moreover, this window fan comes with a one-year warranty that covers defects and workmanship.
- Nice plastic blades. The size of the blade is perfect.
- No more shooting daggers in the general direction of this fan at night as it is very quiet and the thoughts of the cost of operation won’t keep you up due to its energy efficiency.
- Extender panels. These allow for a custom fit for either slider or double-hung windows.
- It is only six pounds and carries handle is sturdy. Ideal to use as a portable fan.
- Easy to clean, all you need is a can of compressed air.
- Does not come with remote control for operation from across the room.
- Unless you already have a thermostat in the room, there is no way to know what the room temperature is as there is no display for that function.
- Each side of the fan cannot be operated independently of each other.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A WINDOW FAN
1. WHY DO YOU NEED A WINDOW FAN?
Do you live somewhere warm? Does your kitchen get too stuffy even with the windows open? Is a regular fan not enough to cool most of your rooms? If you answered yes to all of these questions, then you need a window fan because your home needs better ventilation.
Are you bothered with your electric bills shooting up every time you turn on the AC? If yes, you also need a window fan as it can effectively offer a cheaper alternative to running the air conditioning all day long. Window fans can efficiently pull in cool air from the outside and then pull out the hot air from our home. While it doesn’t really do much for humidity, it can still help cool your home without spending so much on utility bills.
2. Is your home ideal for using a window fan?
One of the most important things to know about window fans is that they may not exactly work the same way for every home. Some houses can get the best benefits from these appliances, while others might get the opposite of its intended effect.
Do you have windows that take a good amount of breeze? Is the outside temperature in your area cooler than indoor temperatures? Are your windows away from garbage piles and other things with the foul odor? If you can answer yes to all of these, then your home can actually be benefited from a window fan.
3. What type of fan do I want?
To know what kind of window fan you want and need for your home, you might first want to get to know your options. You can choose from single reversible fans or twin window fans.
The reversible window fans come with a single blade that you can switch to either serve as an exhaust fan or to pull in cool air from the outside. The twin window fans, on the other hand, have two blades that you can set up to pull in cool air, push out hot air, or do both at the same time.
Twin window fans are heavily preferred by many because of its efficiency. By simultaneously pulling in cool air and pushing out hot air, it can definitely do more for your home’s cooling. As the two types aren’t that far apart in terms of prices, you might want to go for the twin type instead.
For a room with smaller windows but a large space, dual window fans can be good cooling solutions. One fan of the dual window fan can be set up to pull in cool air and another can be used to solely pull out hot air in stuffy rooms. It all really depends on the air circulation situation of your home, so make sure to weigh your options carefully.
4. Where am I going to place the window fan?
A window fan can be used inside a large size bedroom if the air conditioning system doesn’t have enough capacity to cool this kind of large room. Or it can be used in a large size room as a secondary cooling system. We often see window fans are also placed in kitchens as these rooms tend to heat up most often. Also, they are also seen to use as a bedroom fan to remove the stuffiness of this place. We recommend using a dual window fan since we think that they can work best in these areas. However, if you want to use multiple single window fans in different areas, instead of using a dual window fan. To get the best results, place a window fan in a shady window so that you can get cool breeze at any time. It’s also best to place these fans on the ground floor of your home. Don’t put it near garbage bins or parking lots, though, as doing so will pull in bad odors as well.
5. How many window fans I need for better comfort?
This largely depends on how big your home is and the purpose of your window fan installation. Most of the cases, a single unit of dual window fans is already enough to cool an average size kitchen or bathroom or bedroom. Some like to put one in each room as well.
6. What’s the size of the fan?
The best thing about single and dual window fans is that they come in lots of different sizes. The best way to find the right match for your home is by measuring your windows to know which ones will fit accurately inside your window. You can also opt for a smaller unit since there are extenders that will secure the fan into place. They also seal off space in between the fan and your window frame, ensuring optimal airflow.
7. How powerful does the fan need to be?
As experts say, the more powerful the fan, the more effective it will be to pull in cool air and push out warm air. However, you should still assess the room’s needs as an overly powerful fan can be very overwhelming. To know just how powerful a window fan can be, look at its CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating. This will tell you how much air the fan can move.
8. What features do you want?
Do you want a window fan that can do more than just blow air? There are tons of different extra features various models offer. You might want to look for the more useful ones like remote control, variable fan speed, or even a thermostat among other things. Be careful of products with too many bells and whistles, though. They might not really offer better performance but only heavier price tags.
9. Does the window fan create noise?
Does white noise bother you? One of the drawbacks of fans is that they can create some noise while in operation. This is particularly true if it’s set in the highest fan setting. This shouldn’t be bothersome as long as they don’t exceed 60 decibels which is the same volume of a normal conversation. Considering that you won’t really always place your head right next to the fan, this volume can get lower and less noticeable even more.
Use of Window Fan
- The main use of a window fan, during summer, is to reduce the temperature of a room by pulling hot and warm air from that particular space to outside.
- Window fans with reversible technology also able to pull the cool air inside the room.
- It can be used with an air-condition and increase the efficiency of AC. Thus it cut the utility bill of the air conditioner.
- Also, it can use as a secondary cooling system and reduce your dependence on the air conditioner.
- It can help to eliminate the unwanted odor of the kitchen and bathroom.
- You can use it as an exhaust fan inside your kitchen. Placing a window fan in your kitchen room can help to reduce stuffiness.
- Window fan draws fresh air from the outside and supplies the fresh and pollution-free air inside your house.
- Using a window fan inside your basement will reduce the dust and dirt build-up inside it. Furthermore, it will eliminate stuffiness in this space.
Do and Don’t Do With a Window Fan
- Never install an in blowing window fan near or above a trash can, trash, compost piles or some other places where you always find strong bed odor in your house.
- Don’t use a widow fan during heavy rainfall, since they are normally designed to withstand light rain, not heavy rain or storm.
- Don’t settle a window fan close to the fridge or freezer. It may cause the air inside the room very faster than normal time which may increase the load of the appliance, thus the utility bill may increase.
- Don’t forget to fit the slider extender panel if it comes with your purchased unit. It helps you increase stability while the window fan is using it in a vertical direction.
- Don’t place expensive products like antiques or expensive furniture or carpet near a window fan because the water of the window fan may damage your beloved stuff.
- Unplug the window fan if it is in not use or if you are cleaning the fan.
- Do use one in blowing fan and one out blowing at the same time to promote cross-ventilation. Better will be purchase a reversible window fan. It will reverse the direction of the fans’ airflow with a press of a button.
- Do use a window fan as a ventilation fan also.
- Do close the window that is holding the window fan very lightly, otherwise, it may be broken.
- Do make it ensure that the screen protector of the window where you have to settle a window fan is in the proper place. Place a new one if it is missing and repair it if it is ripped. Make sure that it always remains sturdy and strong.
While our list doesn’t include every great window fan on the market today, we hope that it can help you narrow down your options to the best of the best. This way, you can be sure that if you choose any of the products above, you’ll be able to cool your home without breaking the bank.
It’s entirely up to you which one to go for, though. Each product in our list is designed to meet different needs and efficiently cool indoor spaces. So if you go for any which one of them, you’re guaranteed to get a high performing model. You certainly won’t go wrong with any of our best window fans picks as long as it meets your needs, preference, and budget.
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified: