If you’re wondering what exactly window fans are, you can think of them as exhaust fans that are easier to install. Instead of requiring you to cut a hole in your wall, these fans easily fit in windows for easy installation. Window fan reviews show this makes them the quick, affordable, and simple solutions to cooling a space. Depending on the placement, they can also serve as alternatives to a range hood or vent.
Should you get one, though? Learn more about these products in this quick guide and decide for yourself whether it can be the perfect low-cost solution for cooling your home.
Quick Navigation Of Best WIndow Fan Pick By Our Editors
HOW WE WROTE THIS REVIEW
While window fans can come in handy with their efficiency and cost-effectiveness, not all of them are made exceptionally well. Some can be a pain to clean and there’s just too many of them that won’t last more than just a year. As they can get exposed to the elements, you shouldn’t really count on these items to last forever. This is why we’ve figured out that the best way to find the window fan is by opting for something sturdy with a friendly price tag. We’ve taken it upon ourselves to scour the web for user feedback and product information to learn about which window fans work best. Through hours of research, we’ve made sure to pick the ones that are not only reliable and effective in improving your home’s ventilation but also ones that you won’t mind having for just a couple of years. We can certainly promise that our picks are among the finest options in the market today.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A WINDOW FAN
1. WHY DO YOU NEED A WINDOW FAN?
Do you live somewhere warm? Does your kitchen get too stuffy even with the windows open? Is a regular fan not enough to cool most of your rooms? If you answered yes to all of these questions, then you need a window fan because your home needs better ventilation.
Are you bothered with your electric bills shooting up every time you turn on the AC? If yes, you also need a window fan as it can effectively offer a cheaper alternative to running the air conditioning all day long. The best twin window fan can efficiently pull in cool air from the outside and then pull out the hot air in your home. While it doesn’t really do much for humidity, it can still help cool your home without spending so much on utility bills.
2. Is your home ideal for using window fan?
One of the most important things to know about window fans is that they may not exactly work the same way for every home. Some houses can get the best benefits from these appliances, while others might get the opposite of its intended effect.
Do you have windows that take a good amount of breeze? Is the outside temperature in your area cooler than indoor temperatures? Are your windows away from garbage piles and other things with foul odor? If you can answer yes to all of these, then your home can actually benefit from a window fan.
3. What type of fan do I want?
To know what kind of window fan you want and need for your home, you might first want to get to know your options. You can choose from single reversible fans or twin window fans.
The reversible fans come with a single blade that you can switch to either serve as an exhaust fan or to pull in cool air from the outside. The twin window fans, on the other hand, have two blades that you can set up to pull in cool air, push out hot air, or do both at the same time.
Twin window fans are heavily preferred by many because of its efficiency. By simultaneously pulling in cool air and pushing out hot air, it can definitely do more for your home’s cooling. As the two types aren’t that far apart in terms of prices, you might want to go for the twin type instead.
For homes with smaller windows, dedicated window fans can also be good cooling solutions. One fan can be set up to pull in cool air and another can be used to solely pull out hot air in stuffy rooms. It all really depends on the air circulation situation of your home, so make sure to weigh your options carefully.
4. Where am I going to place the window fan?
A lot of window fans are placed in kitchens as these rooms tend to heat up most often. The best dual window fans can work best in these areas.However, if you want to use single window fans in different areas, you can also do so. To get the best results, place the inward-blowing fan in a shady window. If it gets a good amount of breeze, the better option it is. It’s also best to place these fans on the ground floor of your home. Don’t put it near garbage bins or parking lots, though, as doing so will pull in bad odors as well. For outward-blowing fans, place them on sunny areas or upper floors.
5. How many window fan I need for better comfort?
This largely depends on how big your home is and the purpose of your window fan installation. In some homes, a single unit of dual window fans is already enough to cool the kitchen or bedroom. Some like to put one in each room as well. To know the best answer for this question, you should assess your home’s cooling needs.
6. What’s the Size of the fan?
The best thing about single and dual window fans is that they come in lots of different sizes. The best way to find the right match for your home is by measuring your windows to know which ones will fit. You can also opt for a smaller unit since there are extenders that will secure the fan into place. They also seal off the space in between the fan and your window frame, ensuring optimal airflow.
7. How powerful does the fan need to be?
As experts say, the more powerful the fan, the more effective it will be to pull in cool air and push out warm air. However, you should still assess the room’s needs as an overly powerful fan can be very overwhelming. To know just how powerful a window fan can be, look at its CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating. This will tell you how much air the fan can move.
8. What features do you want?
Do you want a window fan that can do more than just blow air? There are tons of different extra features various models offer. You might want to look for the more useful ones like remote control, variable fan speed, or even a thermostat among other things. Be careful of products with too many bells and whistles, though. They might not really offer better performance but only heavier price tags.
9. Does the window fan create noise?
Does white noise bother you? One of the drawbacks of fans is that they can create some noise while in operation. This is particularly true if it’s set in the highest fan setting. This shouldn’t be bothersome as long as they don’t exceed 60 decibels which is the same volume of a normal conversation. Considering that you won’t really always place your head right next to the fan, this volume can get lower and less noticeable even more.
BEST WINDOW FAN REVIEWS (OUR TOP 8 PICKS)
Ready to shop for the best twin window fan or best single blade window fan? Here are some of our top picks:
OUR NUMBER #1 PICK :
BIONAIRE TWIN WINDOW FAN WIth Thermostate
This Window fan is marked as the best twin window fan by our editors
The Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan with Remote Control (BW2300) is one of the most popular twin window fans in the market today. It’s often praised for its power and durability. Few window fan reviews even say that in some cases, it doesn’t need to be replaced every summer. These promises can easily tickle the fancy of many homeowners, making it worthy of being on our list. While it is a bit pricier than the other items in this list, its features easily make up for it. It has everything you’d want in a window fan and even more. Its major draw is its power. Unfortunately, its CFM isn’t listed on the website. It has been noted that it’s able to blow more air than other notable window fans upon the close comparison, though. You can actually feel its output from thirty feet away which is a good distance for a fan. This makes a lot of owners conclude that the Bionaire BW2300 is one of the most powerful window fans around. Then there’s also its convenience. You can actually configure its setting in two ways. First is through a built-in control panel with indicator lights, dedicated buttons for each fan, and an LED screen. The indicator lights will tell you what setting you have selected. The buttons are clearly labeled so you won’t get confused what to press during setup. Its LED screen lets you control the thermostat more easily. If you don’t want to get up from where you are but want to tweak the fan’s setting, you can do so with its remote control. It also has dedicated buttons for different functions so its use doesn’t involve any guesswork.
In terms of the fan’s performance, you’re also guaranteed that it will get the job done. It can be set to three different modes (air intake, exhaust, or exchange) and three-speed settings. As there are independent controls for each blade, choosing different or similar modes is possible. Of course, the built-in thermostat is also worth noting. Aside from being nearly accurate, you can also use it to automatically turn the fan on and off at night, even as you sleep. This makes the Bionaire BW2300 an even more convenient alternative to air conditioning units. Worried that it won’t fit your window? Fret not. It’s sized to fit most vertical-slider, double-hung, and casement windows. If your windows are bigger, it also comes with a built-in extender.How about the noise levels? At 70 decibels, it might not be the quietest window fan. However, given its great power, this is a negligible trade-off. If you find it bothersome, you can always just run the unit at the lowest fan setting.
Top Key Features
- It has a dual-fan design with independently controlled, reversible 8.5” blades. This offers better airflow.
- It’s equipped with a manual console with LED display and comes with a remote control. These make operation a lot simpler and faster.
- Ensuring your comfort is a built-in programmable thermostat. This allows the unit to maintain the temperature according to your preference.
- Get even more comfortable with its variable 3-speed settings. Select how much air the fan can pull in or out to further help control the temperature in your space.
- Will fit in almost every window with its built-in extender. No more additional purchases required with this feature.
- Having thermostat sensor system in this fan is a great plus. This system saves a lot of electricity bills.
- One of the best quietest window fan. You may not notice any sound of the motor while it is operating. Perfect for having sound sleep.
- Cools the room faster by pushing the warm air outside of the room.
- Easy to clean.
- Easy to assemble and operate.
- You may find very difficult to locate the control system. Some customers complain that they only find the switch on/off bottom. They don’t have any idea which bottom to control speed or thermostat.
- There is no remote storage space in the fan. One may easily misplace the remote.
- The lowest speed setting is too much low that you may think the fan is not working.
Final VerdictWith great features and a five-year warranty, it’s easy to see why the Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan is considered the best in the market today. It certainly offers everything you’d want in a window fan so it can be the perfect pick for your home.
NUMBER #2 : HOLMES TWIN WINDOW FAN WITH THERMOSTAT
If you are looking for best reversible window fan for your bedroom then this Holmes window fan will be the first choice without any doubt.
For some people, their budget is primarily the decision-maker for their purchases. This is why an affordable option like the Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan HAWF2043 is also a top-rated pick. It’s very friendly price tag is hard to beat with features that are also very promising. By buying a cheaper window fan, you won’t really have to worry about making it last for as long as possible. Some homes, especially in warmer regions, are even okay with replacing theirs every summer. So, by choosing a top performing yet budget-friendly unit like this one from Holmes, you’re basically hitting two birds with one stone.But aside from the price, what makes this Holmes window fan a great hit? The fact that it can do everything almost every other more expensive units can really take the cake. For one, it can perform air intake, exhaust, and exchange. Its reversible motor allows you to take full control of how you want this fan to cool your room. The two fans can even be operated independently, so you can have it simultaneously pull out hot air and pull in cool air.
It also has a built-in thermostat which is pretty surprising. You can easily select your temperature setting and the fan will keep it at your desired level. It also automatically shuts the fan off when it gets too cold and turns it on again when it gets too hot. Being very lightweight at just 7.9 lbs, this unit is a great pick for small homes and those who live alone. Since it’s portable, you can easily just move it around the house. Don’t worry about the airflow, though. With a 420 CFM rating at its high setting, it can still do a great job at cooling your space.
Top Key Features
- Employs a dual-fan design with independent, electronically controlled fans. It can take in cool air, exhaust hot air, and do both at the same time easily.
- Equipped with a reversible motor. This gives it more ways to cool your room with ease.
- One button control for fan speed and thermostat. This makes it very easy to operate, freeing you from having to fuss with so many buttons.
- Offers two comfort settings. You can choose the fan’s speed to effectively cool your room.
- It has a built-in adjustable screen and extenders. If you’re worried whether this fan will fit in your window, these guarantee that it will.
- The control panel is very clear, so, one can operate it very easily.
- Very sturdy construction.
- Very quiet in nature.
- You can operate each blade individually if you wish.
- It doesn’t have any LED indicator light.
- Little bit noisy when operating on high speed setting mode.
- Not as powerful as Bionaire Window fan.
- LED lights will really be annoying specially while sleeping at night.
Final VerdictTopped with a 3-year limited warranty, this affordable window fan can be a solid pick for those on a budget. Practical, convenient, and friendly-priced, it’s at least worth looking into if you’re in the market for a window fan anyway.
AVALON TWIN WINDOW FAN
It is very annoying if your window fan makes good amount of noise. But AirKing Window fan will not disturb you with noise as it is the best quiet window fan available in the market.
One of the unique things about this product is its portable design. It has a built-in carry handle so you can easily hold it while moving it from one spot to another. Moreover, it has two removable stand legs. So, it can be a use in a table or floor like a freestanding fan.
If you don’t feel like removing this window fan from its spot while it’s raining, you don’t have to worry. Its dual motors are made of copper so it can endure all kinds of weather. The body is also made of plastic, so it won’t rust and corrode over time.
In terms of performance, this unit will meet all of your expectations from a window fan. Its dual reversible motor design offers it enough power to cool a room with ease. Unfortunately, its CFM rating is not listed anywhere, so we can’t provide a concrete figure. It’s also capable of pulling in cool air, pushing out hot air, and exchanging cool and warm air at the same time with the right settings. The two fans have independent controls, so you can easily configure it depending on your needs.
Is it noisy, though? Well, it does make a low humming sound but it’s not loud. It’s not annoying and it won’t hurt your ears. If you’re not easily bothered by ambient noise, this shouldn’t be worrisome.
Top Key Features
- It’s Max Cool Technology guarantees your comfort. With its built-in thermostat and LED indicator lights, you can easily set your preferred temperature level and this product will maintain it to keep you comfortable.
- Offering you easy and full control of the fan is its two-button control panel and 3-speed settings. These make it very simple to configure and will help you select the precise airflow level you need to cool your room.
- Equipped with two copper motors. Not only does this promise more power for each fan, but it also guarantees that the motor will be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather.
- It’s expandable side panels make it compatible with most windows. No more need to buy additional parts just to make it work with your window.
- Its reversible airflow ensures effective cooling. You can choose whether to use it to pull in cool air, as an exhaust fan, or for exchanging cool and hot air in your room.
- If you are very cautious about unwanted electricity bills, you will love this fan. The thermoset will help you to reduce the monthly bill.
- Keeps away the odor outside of the window.
- The noise is lesser than an air conditioner.
- The installation is very simple and easy. Only need few minutes to install in a window.
- Take few minutes to assemble after unboxing it.
- The control system is not clear for general users.
- Outer body looks very cheap.
- No auto timer feature available in this window fan
Final VerdictIf you’re a big fan of versatile appliances, the Avalon Twin Window Fan will tickle your fancy. It offers everything you need for such an appliance and more. So if you want to get a bigger bang for your buck, this can be a good pick for you.
Number #4: Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
The price of this window fan is very low and affordable for anyone. It is one of the best cheap window fan available in the online marketplace.
If you are ever in the need for one of the best quiet window fans that will fit into a slider or double-hung window, then the Holmes Dual Blade Twin might be the right fan. The outer body of this fan is constructed of plastic. This fan will fit slider windows that are 10 inches wide and 36 inches high and can be used with the window screen in place. This white color window fan is made in China but assembles in the USA. A 2 plug end power cord which length is the almost 5-foot act to supply power to the machine. This window fan consumes 53 watts on the high-speed setting. This fan is very quiet in nature and it is one of the quietest window fan available in the market. Perfect to use this in the bedroom or living room beside or alternative to the air conditioner.
Top Key Features
- The Motor of Holmes twin window far is water resisted, which comes in handy for a window fan. When it starts raining inside and nobody is home, there is no need to worry about the fan as the motor is water resistant.
- Two speed settings that are manually controlled. This fan does not come with a remote control and any change must be done manually.
- It saves 60% power. That is how much less energy this fan uses, which saves money when it comes time to pay the electric bill.
- Expands to fit larger windows and the extender panels offer support for vertical orientation.
- It has the ability for reversible airflow, manual as well. This comes in handy for pushing air out of the home, either to air out the home or to get rid of smoke due to an issue with cooking in the kitchen.
- Nice plastic blades. Size of the blade is perfect.
- No more shooting daggers in the general direction of this fan at night as it is very quiet and the thoughts of the cost of operation won’t keep you up due to its energy efficiency.
- Extender panels. These allow for a custom fit for either slider or double hung windows.
- It is only six pounds and carries handle is sturdy. Ideal to use as portable fan.
- Easy to clean, all you need is a can of compressed air.
- Does not come with a remote control for operation from across the room.
- Unless you already have a thermostat in the room, there is no way to know what the room temperature is as there is no display for that function.
- Each side of the fan cannot be operated independently of each other.
Final VerdictA water-resistant fan is a must for some residences as not everyone is home when it starts raining through the open window. While the fan has the ability for reverse airflow, I doubt it would work on water that much. Once the extender panels are fitted properly, it will stay in the window and shouldn’t out. If it doesn’t stay in the window, it is not that heavy to pick up and put back in the window.
NUmber #5: AirKing 9166 Whole House Window Fan
Top Key Features
- The outer housing for the unit is made to be impact resistant.
- Fits window openings that are between 27 inches to 38 inches wide and 26.24 inches high.
- Storm guard slider panels which can be closed behind the fan in case of stormy weather. No need to remove the fan from the window, just close the slider panels behind the fan.
- Permanently lubricated motor so there is no need to oil it every few months.
- In case of impending inclement weather, this fan has storm guard panels that can be closed behind the fan.
- The plastic outer housing of this fan is made with impact resistant materials, rendering it less likely to break or bend upon coming into sudden impact with other solid objects.
- Exchanges air quick enough that it doesn’t need to be on very long, which saves even more money.
- Mounts inside the window frame so the window can still close behind it if needed.
- Reversible motor to pull cool air in or push hot air out.
- This AirKing model weighs 33 pounds, which would make it somewhat difficult for certain individuals to carry up and down the stairs, or around the house.
- Due to the large size, it will block the view outside.
- Can be noisy at high speed, but it might not need to be used as it is powerful and effective at low speed just as well.
Final VerdictDespite being a heavy fan weighing 33 pounds, the OSHA compliant AirKing 9166 makes a great addition to any household. The permanently lubricated motor means that you never have to oil it yourself and the fan is not likely to break due to the impact resistant outer housing. Never really heard of non-industrial fans having horsepower, but if a standard sized horse like the American Quarter Horse were the basis for horsepower, and if size were relational to horsepower, then this fan would be a Falabella miniature horse foal that is a bit on the small side, which would be about 1/6th the size of an American Quarter Horse.
Number #6: Lasko 2155A Electrically Reversible Window Fan
Lasko is a well-known fan manufacturer and they produce almost every type of fan. They carry on their brand reputation with this window fan. This fan will surprise you with top-notch speed and performance. It can pull in outside air and also capable of pulling out the air outside. The three different speed setting both in normal and reversible mode helps to cool your bedroom very fast. It fits double hung style windows that are 26.5 to 34.5 inches wide and at least 22 inches high. The blades and outer body is made of plastic materials.
Top Key Features
- Storm guard slider panels which can be closed behind the fan in case of stormy weather.
- Three quiet and energy efficient settings mode both in intake and exhaust mode. These days, energy efficient devices are a vital feature of any device to have
- Blows 2,470 cubic feet of air per minute, yet it is quiet. This would be 182.7 square feet per minute. At this rate, it would start to cool a 450 square foot studio apartment in two and a half minutes.
- Airflow can be reversed with a touch of a button. No longer have to take a fan out of a window, turn it around and then put it back in the window to vent air to the outside.
- Lightweight. At twelve pounds, the weight makes it easy for one person to lift it up into the window.
- Easy to disassemble, only need to
loose4 round head screws. So, you can clean the fan investing few minutes
- Very easy to install. You have to put 4 screws in the window frame.
- When it comes to being compliant with safety standards, this particular fan is ETL listed.
- A powerful but surprisingly quiet fan. The television, music or conversation can still be heard over the fan without turning it down to the lower setting, or off.
- Very little vibration.
- People who have larger hands, or less hand dexterity, may find the dial slightly difficult.
- Plastic housing, which can make the sturdiness of the housing a little concerning with the weight of the window.
- For those seeking a fan with an automatic shutdown timer, this fan does not have that feature.
Final VerdictIf all fan manufacturers aren’t considering the Storm Guard feature to be a thing for their fans, they should. I can’t remember how many times there was a box fan in the window that had to be removed when it started raining because it was raining inside the window and the fan wasn’t water resistant. This is a good fan to have if you need to rid your house of odors, moisture, and warm air.
Number #7: Bionaire BWF0522M Window fan
Looking for a more compact, yet powerful, window fan for a room or a whole residence? Then the Bionaire BWF0522M might be the one you are looking for. This manual control window fan is available at
Top Key Features
- Locking extender screens to keep the fan in place. It’s for both vertical and horizontal positioning.
- Portability is key for the Bionaire BWF0522M as it is only five pounds, which is great for when it needs to be cleaned.
- 25% more compact than most window fans, yet 40% more powerful.
- It has three independently controlled comfort settings for a variety of settings.
- Has a programmable thermostat.
- It even comes with fabric care instructions, possibly for the locking screens.
- For people wanting to know what the temperature is indoors, yet don’t have an indoor thermostat in a room indicating what the temperature is, this fan comes with a programmable thermostat.
- If there is ever a problem with hot, stale air indoors, the reversible exhaust is the answer to that.
- Being only five pounds, this fan is perfect for those who either live alone or don’t currently have anyone else home to help put the fan in the window. Great for older children and those who aren’t allowed to lift above a certain weight.
- Operates quietly and smoothly
- Five-year warranty ensures that the product Bionaire will be taken care of it.
- Manually operated as it does not come with a remote control in which to change the settings from across the room.
- No way to adjust speed, just how many fans and how warm or cool you want it.
- Needs to be lubricated every few months. Not that big of an issue, but most fans don’t need to be lubricated by hand in order to operate optimally.
Final VerdictEver just want to set a certain temperature on a fan and walk away knowing it won’t get any colder than that? With the Bionaire BWF0522M, you can be confident that the programmable thermostat will ensure just that. If the locking extenders ever need to be clean, the cleaning instructions come with the Bionaire BWF0522M.
Number #8: Comfort Zone Twin Window Fan
Top Key Features
- Comes with a remote control for ease of use without having to get up.
- Reversible if hot air is needed to be expelled from the room or residence.
- High, medium and low speed settings and venting, cooling and circulating air as the three functions.
- Fan sets in place in a window easily with the accordion-like expanders.
- 7.72 pounds, which means it is light enough to carry up and down the stairs, as well as being light enough for one person to put in the window themselves.
- Vents unwanted air outside, circulates the air indoors and cools the temperature of a room.
- Larger windows are not a problem as the expanders help lock the fan into place.
- Can be used on surfaces by attaching plastic feet that come with the fan.
- It is a quiet fan, which makes listening to the radio or television easier when the fan is in operation.
- In need of a fan that can be stored out of the way easily? The Comfort Zone Twin Window Fan has a folding base for saving space and can be placed nearly anywhere.
- Directing airflow either up, down or to either side cannot be done as the airflow vents are in a fixed position.
- Does not have a thermostat to indicate indoor room temperature.
- There is a chance that it does not have storm guard slider panels like the previously mentioned fans have as no mention is made of them.
Final VerdictListening to music, television or a conversation has never been easier with this fan around as it operates quietly with no competing noise. When it is not going to be used for a while, this lightweight device has a folding base to save space and makes it easier to carry through the residence, and even up or down the stairs. If you want the fan on the table or some other surface. that can be accomplished by attaching the plastic feet to the fan and standing it upon the desired surface.
While our list doesn’t include every great window fan on the market today, we hope that it can help you narrow down your options to the best of the best. This way, you can be sure that if you choose any of the products above, you’ll be able to cool your home without breaking the bank.
It’s entirely up to you which one to go for, though. Each product in our list is designed to meet different needs and efficiently cool indoor spaces. So if you go for any which one of them, you’re guaranteed to get a high performing model. You certainly won’t go wrong with any of our best window fan picks as long as it meets your needs, preference, and budget.