With summer fast approaching, the best way to combat the summer heat is by equipping yourself with tools and appliances that can give you great relief during the hot and humid weather.
One thing that can help you get through the hot summer days is a ceiling fan. Nothing beats the strong summer heat than the cold air coming from your ceiling fan. Aside from it being cheaper compared to air-conditioning units and helps in saving energy during the summer days, it is also very easy to clean and maintain.
Ceiling Fan and Tower Fan
A ceiling fan is a perfect alternative for air-conditioning units. According to a review by the Ceilingfan.com, choosing a ceiling fan over air conditioners is the more economical choice. The reason for this is because a fan requires less power, but provides almost the same level of comfort an air-conditioner gives.
A good counterpart of a ceiling fan is a tower fan. While the ceiling fan regulates cold air in the upper portion of the room, the tower fan fills the whole room with cool air.
Tips on Maintaining Your Ceiling Fan
As a homemaker, it is one of your duties to make sure that your loved ones have the right weapon against the summer heat. Aside from numerous articles about home-making tips, it is also essential to learn advice on how to take care of your appliance. This is necessary so that you can enjoy optimal usage and performance of your appliances.
Two of the five places that you usually don’t notice that needs regularly cleaning are your ceiling corners and your ceiling fan. Try to follow these few simple steps, and you’ll realize that maintaining and cleaning your ceiling fan isn’t as hard as it seems.
- Regularly check your ceiling fan. Inspect the movement if it’s either making a wobbling motion or a sound that wasn’t there before. Note that the blades of the ceiling fan should also be running smoothly. If these cases persist, you might try doing a DIY fix on your ceiling fan.
- It is important always to clean the blades of your ceiling fan. Dust accumulates over time on your blade when you do not clean it regularly. You can either use a wet cloth to wipe the blades or a vacuum cleaner.
- If you want to thoroughly clean your ceiling fan, you can detach it from its main wiring for complete cleaning and general maintenance. You can always hook it up again when you’re done following wiring simple tips. You can also use these steps when putting up your ceiling fan for the first time. Remember to follow the wiring connections religiously.
- If you don’t trust your skills in re-connecting the wires, you can also clean the inside of the box by a vacuum cleaner without detaching the main box. The main box is the part that holds the ceiling fan body and where wirings are found.
- If you want to avoid the hassle of detaching the whole ceiling fan, you can opt to separate the ceiling fan’s blades instead for a closer look. Bolts or screws hold together the blades of the ceiling fan. The screws can be removed by using the suitable hand tool. You can dip the detached blades in water to completely remove the thick dust that has already accumulated.
- Check if the screws and bolts of your ceiling fan are still tight with no traces of loose thread. Sometimes, loose screws or bolts are to blame when the ceiling fan becomes too wobbly, or it starts to get noisy. That is why it is important to make sure also to tighten each for safety purposes. You don’t want an unsecured ceiling fan to result in an accident.
- Check for any deformed or bent ceiling fan blade, as this is another cause of an unstable ceiling fan. Replace it immediately.
These tips might seem complicated, but as long as you have the appropriate tools, you can do these by yourself easily. For your safety, don’t forget to switch off the power of your ceiling fan before doing anything.
Just think of how much money you can save by simply doing the entire process of cleaning and maintaining your ceiling fan by yourself. By doing these, you can avoid any impending damage to your ceiling fan that might require the assistance of a technician. So impress your friends by becoming a superstar of everyday chores.
Author Bio: Jimmy loves sharing his knowledge on Woodworking and Home Improvement techniques at Air Tool Guy. Follow his blog for more tips and tricks of tools around the house.